Friday, October 24, 2008

Planting Day!

Aquarium with substrate:

My wire job on the lighting - this part took forever:

My plants arrived this morning from aquariumplants.com. All were in good shape and I'm very pleased with the quality and price. The only downer was that they substituted a few plants because they were out of stock. Planting took about 2 hours and here are the results. Too bad this is the best the tank will look for a while. I'm sure many of the crypts will melt and regrow, some plants will die off...


And now, 2 days of darkness to encourage root growth.

Initial Setup for low tech, nonCO2 planted tank:
50 gallon All Glass Aquarium
Aquariumplants.com Substrate w/ Total fert pellets
Icecap 660 & reflectors with 2x39 watt HO T-5
Rena XP2 Filter
Rena integrated heater (200W)

1 radican sword
10 narrow leaf chain swords
10 broad leaf chain swords
5 green cryptocoryne wendtii
3 cryptocoryne lutea
3 cryptocoryne walkeri (sub for becketti)
2 red cryptocoryne wendtii
10 dwarf sagittaria
java fern
java moss
water sprite
wisteria
1 bronze cryptocoryne wendtii

2 comments:

Scott said...

that tank is pretty sweet, but i would recommend an under-gravel filter. get one soon.

Leslierush said...

this is fun! I didn't read everything but I looked at all the pictures. I'd like to have an aquarium one day but I don't know the first thing about taking care of fish unless it's a beta fish like our dear Puff Daddy Wallace.